Fonds 11.03 - Durnford, Bolton, Chadwick and Ellwood

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Durnford, Bolton, Chadwick and Ellwood

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CAC 11.03

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1955-1969 (Creation)
    Creator
    Durnford, Bolton, Chadwick and Ellwood

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1956-1964)

Administrative history

In 1955 Harold Lea Fetherstonhaugh retired from the firm of Fetherstonhaugh, Durnford, Bolton and Chadwick (CAC 11.02) and in 1956 the firm changed its name to Durnford, Bolton, Chadwick and Ellwood as a result of Michael Ellwood joining the firm as a partner. The firm was in existence until Durnford's retirement in 1964 and it was comprised of the architects Alexander Tilloch Galt Durnford (see CAC 11), Richard E. Bolton (see 1.1.01), R. V. Chadwick (see CAC 11.02) and Michael G.C. Ellwood. Among their public commissions, the Montreal Fraser Hickson Library of 1957 and the Standard Life Building of 1958 are noteworthy.

En 1955, Harold Lea Fetherstonhaugh prit sa retraite du cabinet de Fetherstonhaugh, Durnford, Bolton et Chadwick (CAC 11.02) et en 1956 le cabinet prit le nom de Durnford, Bolton, Chadwick et Ellwood avec la venue de Michael Ellwood comme associé. Ce cabinet formé des architectes Alexander Tilloch Galt Durnford (voir CAC 11), Richard E. Bolton (voir CAC 11.02), R. V. Chadwick(voir 11.02) et Michael G.C. Ellwood s'est maintenu jusqu'à la retraite de Durnford en 1964. Au nombre des immeubles publics que le cabinet a réalisés, signalons la bibliothèque Fraser Hickson de Montréal en 1957 et l'immeuble de la Standard Life en 1958.

Custodial history

The materials were given to the CAC by Lucy Durnford Lewis.

Le matériel a été remis à la CAC par Lucy Durnford Lewis.

Scope and content

"Architectural Drawings, 1955-69, 219 drawings." Architectural drawings documenting eleven projects are found in the CAC. The majority of the drawings are designs for a residential dwelling for J. A. Laing on lie Bizard, PQ (1961-2); other Montreal projects represented in the archives include additions and alterations to the house of N. L. C. Mather in Westmount (1959-60), an addition to the Canadian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals building on Jean Talon (1962-64), alterations to St. George's Church and a number of alterations to the Sommer Building on Mayor Street (1955-69).
"Photograph, 1959-60." A photograph of a finished exterior of the Mather house in Westmount, with alterations and an addition, is found in the archive.
"Professional Papers, 1958-69, 13 cm." Correspondence, specifications, notes, and statements relating to five projects, including an addition and alterations to the Mather house, alterations to St. George's Church and alterations to the Sommer Building.

"Dessins architecturaux, 1955-1969, 219 dessins." La CAC réunit des dessins architecturaux reliés à onze projets. La plupart des dessins se rapportent à la résidence de J. A. Laing à l'île Bizard (Québec) (1961-1962); au nombre des autres projets montréalais représentés dans le fonds,
signalons les annexes et modifications à la maison de N. L. C. Mather à Westmount (1959-1960), une annexe à l'immeuble de la SPCA, rue Jean-Talon (1962-1964), des modifications apportées à l'église St. George ainsi que des modifications apportées à l'immeuble Sommer, rue Mayor (1955-1969).
"Photographies, 1959-1960." Une photographie de la finition extérieure de la maison Mather à Westmount, avec modifications et annexes.
"Documents professionnels, 1958-1969, 13 cm." De la correspondance, des cahiers des charges, des notes et des relevés se rapportant à cinq projets, notamment à une annexe et des modifications à la maison Mather, ainsi qu'à des modifications à l'église St. George et à l'immeuble Sommer.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

10

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area