Item 0021 - Letter, 20 October 1903

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Letter, 20 October 1903

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA MUA MG 1022-5-039-0021

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 20 October 1903 (Creation)
    Creator
    Harrington, Conrad Dawson, 1884-1943
    Place
    Kingston (Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1884-1943)

Biographical history

Conrad was the second son of Anna and Bernard Harrington, born in 1884 in Montreal. To his sisters Clare and Ruth, and older brother Eric, many other siblings were soon added: Edith, Lois, Eva (Constance Eva), Bernard and William. The large family spent summers at Little Metis near to Birkenshaw, his grandfather’s home there. He was educated at Montreal High School and also attended the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario. He earned his B.Sc. at McGill where his father taught and his grandfather was principal. He married Muriel Theodora Featherstonhaugh, a graduate of Trafalgar School for Girls. They had two sons, Conrad Featherstonhaugh who himself went on to become chancellor of McGill and Eric, named after his father’s older brother who had died young. Their daughter was named Janet Geraldine.

Conrad D. joined the Anglin Norcross Corporation Ltd. (then known as Byers and Anglin) in 1907 and eventually became vice president, having been the head of the corporation’s subsidiary branches in Quebec and Ontario. Some of the most important construction projects in Eastern Canada, including the Royal York Hotel and the Canadian Bank of Commerce Building in Toronto (both among the largest buildings in the British Empire at the time), as well as the Church of St. Andrew and St. Paul in Montreal, the Supreme Court in Ottawa, and the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec, were built by his company. He was also a president of the Montreal Board of Trade and of the Canadian Construction Association. At McGill he was a Representative Fellow in Applied Science for a number of years, retiring in 1930 from that position.

During the war years he worked in civilian war service as a construction engineer and work at the Naval Training Centre in Halifax, N.S. and Dominion Arsenals in Quebec City was under his personal supervision. He resided at 24 Ramezay Road in Westmount until his death January 26, 1943.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Letter from Conrad Harrington to B.J. Harrington, written from Kingston.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: M-1022-65