Item 0009 - Letter, 10 May 1889

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Letter, 10 May 1889

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA MUA MG 1022-2-1-259-0009

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 10 May 1889 (Creation)
    Creator
    Howley, James Patrick, 1847-1918
    Place
    St. John's (N.L.)

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1847-1918)

Biographical history

James Patrick Howley was born on July 7, 1847, in Mount Cashel, St. John's, Newfoundland.

He was a naturalist and geologist. He was educated at Saint Bonaventure's College, St. John's, Newfoundland. In 1867, he entered the service of the Newfoundland Government as a clerk in the office of the Colonial Secretary. His work as an assistant and then as Director of the Geological and Topographical Survey of Newfoundland between 1868 and 1909 produced much of the scientific basis for understanding the geography of the island’s interior, geology, and mineral deposits. He became interested and studied the indigenous people of the island of Newfoundland Beothuk. Upon retirement in 1909, Howley lectured, wrote, and represented the colony overseas as the recognized authority on its geology, mineralogy, natural history, geography, and human history. He is regarded as the creator of the institution that became the Provincial Museum of Newfoundland and Labrador and served as its first curator. In 1915, he published the book "The Beothucks or Red Indians - The Aboriginal Inhabitants of Newfoundland" which remains an important source on the Beothuk, whose last member, Shanawdithit, had died in 1829. His never published memoirs "Reminiscences of Forty-two Years of Exploration in and about Newfoundland" have been made available as digital documents.

In 1874, he married Elizabeth Jane Firth (1851–1935). He died on January 1, 1918, in St. John's, Newfoundland.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Letter from James P. Howley to John William Dawson, written from St. John’s, NF.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession no.

2211/233

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: M-1022-14