Title and statement of responsibility area
John McDonald of Garth
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on creator of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- McDonald, John, 1771 or 1772-1866
Physical description area
11 cm including three albums.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Born in Scotland, John McDonald of Garth entered the service of the North West Company in 1791. In 1799 he built Rocky Mountain House on the North Saskatchewan River. In 1800 he became a partner in the company. McDonald established Fort Gibraltar at the junction of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers in 1807. Later, in 1811, he moved to the Columbia district where in 1813 he took over Fort Astoria from Astor's Pacific Fur Co. McDonald retired in 1815 and settled in Glengarry, Upper Canada.
This material was acquired from Archibald Chaussegros de Léry Macdonald in 1922 at the cost of $150.00 (Order 5888). See: De Léry Macdonald Papers / MSG 439 for the letter to Dr. Lomer describing his collecting of historical documents.
The third volume of autobiographical notes (file MSG 406-11) was purchased March 2014 from Greenfield Booksellers 217 Academy Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3M 0E3.
Scope and content
McDonald's correspondence, 1791-1860, mostly concerns business and property matters, but also includes personal correspondence. There are statements of account with McTavish, Frobisher & Co., 1799; with McTavish, Fraser & Co., 1803-1804; with McTavish, McGillivray & Co., 1808-1809. There are two volumes of autobiographical notes assembled in 1859 and covering the period 1791-1816.
There is a second copy of the autobiography, probably transcribed in the late 19th century. Written on the front fly leaf is the name: A.E. MacDonald. It has 63 leaves, and there are minor textual variants.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication