McDonald, John, 1771 or 1772-1866

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

McDonald, John, 1771 or 1772-1866

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1771 or 1772-1866

History

Born in Scotland, John McDonald of Garth entered the service of the North West Company in 1791. In 1799 he built Rocky Mountain House on the North Saskatchewan River. In 1800 he became a partner in the company. McDonald established Fort Gibraltar at the junction of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers in 1807. Later, in 1811, he moved to the Columbia district where in 1813 he took over Fort Astoria from Astor's Pacific Fur Co. McDonald retired in 1815 and settled in Glengarry, Upper Canada.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

n81014511

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC