Fonds 60 - G. E. Wilson

Illustrated plan. "Authentic Mappe of olde McGill".

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

G. E. Wilson

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CAC 60

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-1953; predominant 1930-1935 (Creation)
    Creator
    Wilson, G. E. (George Everett), 1909-2000

Physical description area

Physical description

cm of textual records and graphic material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1909-2000)

Biographical history

George Everett Wilson, born in Montreal in 1909, received his B.Arch. from McGill University in 1934. During his studies, he was awarded the Anglin Norcross Prize for Drawing (1929), the P.J. Turner Prize for Building Construction (1930), the Louis Robertson Prize for Architectural Design (1931), the Lieutenant-Governor's Silver Medal for Professional Practice (1934), and the Hugh McLennan Memorial Travelling Scholarship in Architecture (1934). It was the latter coveted prize that enabled him to travel to England, Scotland, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Holland, and France in the pre-WWII years. There, Mr. Wilson documented his travels through illustrated sketchbooks, maps, and a collection of photographs. Upon his return to Montreal, Mr. Wilson started his professional practice with George E. Auld (B.Arch.'33). This partnership, which lasted from 1936 to 1939, consisted largely of residential projects. The firm was awarded Honourable Mention for Outstanding Residential Design by the RAIC in 1936. In 1938, Mr. Wilson worked in Bermuda, again concentrating on residential projects. During World War II, both partners enlisted in the RCAF. Mr. Wilson retired a Squadron Leader in Navigation and received the Order of the British Empire in 1942 for his meritorious services. His partner, G.E. Auld also in the RCAF, was killed in 1940. George Everett Wilson moved to Toronto and continued in private practice. He first formed a partnership with Frank D. Newton as Wilson & Newton (1946-68) and which later became Wilson, Newton, Roberts (1969-70). They built their practice around industrial, educational, and municipal commissions. From 1971 to 1972, the Toronto company expanded yet again to form a partnership with the firm of Moody, Moore, Duncan of Winnipeg. This consortium changed to Wilson, Newton, Roberts, Duncan (1973-77), with which Mr. Wilson was associated as a consulting architect. Starting in 1978 and continuing until 1990, George E. Wilson was a sole practitioner as an industrial consultant. G.E. Wilson was one of the founders of the Architectural Research Group (ARG) in Montreal, an association of young Montreal architects in 1938. Concerned with the growing trends of architecture at that time, the ARG represented watch dogs that spoke out on various architectural issues. The group was particularly "...interested in the planning and organizing of shelter that satisfies the needs of today - social, economic, cultural, hygienic - that makes intelligent use of contemporary resources of scientific analysis and industrial development" (RAIC Journal, Oct 40 pp.172-3). Active in a number of other organizations, Mr. Wilson was the President of the Ontario Association of Architects (1957-58), Vice Chairman of the Registration Board OAA (1961), Chairman of the Toronto chapter of the OAA (1953), Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Civic Design in Toronto (1954-55), and an elected Fellow of the RAIC (1953), among others. Based on his experience in the RCAF, Mr. Wilson also published two books about aircraft identification, as well as two books about practical plans for do-it-yourself homeowners. He also had numerous articles published in several journals between the years 1935 and 1946. Mr. Wilson also has exhibited his drawings and paintings at the Art Association of Montreal (now the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts) during the late 1930s, and later at the Canadian National Exhibition Art Gallery, the York University Art Gallery, and the University of Toronto Faculty of Architecture. After an illness Mr. Wilson passed away on Wednesday, June 27, 2000 at the age of 90.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds is composed of G.E. Wilson's student work, primarily between 1930 and 1935, including design projects and notebooks from the History of Architecture course (1931-1933), and drawings generated from his travels on the McLennan Travelling Scholarship. Mr Wilson's professional work concentrates on his residential projects in Quebec while in partnership with G. E. Auld. The publications vary from his four books based on his experiences in the Royal Canadian Air Force during WWII to home planning books, office brochures and reports.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

94

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area