Fonds 11.02 - Fetherstonhaugh, Durnford, Bolton and Chadwick

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fetherstonhaugh, Durnford, Bolton and Chadwick

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CAC 11.02

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1945-1955 (Creation)
    Creator
    Fetherstonhaugh, Durnford, Bolton and Chadwick

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1946-)

Administrative history

Custodial history

The materials were given to the CAC by Lucy Durnford Lewis.

Le matériel a été remis à la CAC par Lucy Durnford Lewis.

Scope and content

"Architectural Drawings, 1945-55, 80 drawings." The majority of the architectural drawings documenting the projects of this firm relate to the design of a house for P. A. Cumyn in Senneville, PQ (1953-5). The other four projects with drawings include the addition of a parish hall for St. George's Church on Windsor Street in Montreal (1946) and alterations to the house of D. H. Starkey on Piquet Road in Montreal (1946).
"Photograph, n.d., 1 photograph." The archive contains a photograph of a finished exterior of an unidentified house.

"Dessins architecturaux, 1945-1955, 80 dessins." La plupart des dessins architecturaux qui témoignent des projets de ce cabinet se rapportent aux plans d'une maison réalisée pour P. A. Cumyn à Senneville (Québec) (1953-1955). Les autres dessins ont trait à l'ajout d'une salle paroissiale à l'église St. George, rue Windsor à Montréal (1956), ainsi qu'à des modifications apportées à la maison de D. H. Starkey, chemin Piquet à Montréal (1946).
"Photographie, s.d., 1 photo." Le fonds contient une photo de la finition extérieure d'une maison non identifiée.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Alexander Tilloch Galt Durnford, CAC 11;
Bolton, Chadwick, Ellwood and Aimers, CAC 11.01;
Dumford, Bolton, Chadwick and Ellwood, CAC 11.02;
Fetherstonhaugh and Durnford, CAC 11.03;
Bolton, Ellwood and Aimers, CAC 11.06

Accruals

General note

In 1946 two partners were added to the firm of Fetherstonhaugh and Durnford: Richard E. Bolton (b. 1907) and R.V. Chadwick (b. 1916). Richard E. Bolton was born in Montreal and studied architecture at McGill University from 1925 to 1927 and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston from 1927 to 1929. He worked as a draughtsman for Harold Lea Fetherstonhaugh from 1930 to 1931 and then set up a private practice in Montreal. After the Second World War Bolton joined the firm of Dumford and Fetherstonhaugh and became a partner in 1946. R.V. Chadwick was born in Brooklyn and completed a degree in architecture at University of Michigan in 1940. As a student he worked intermittently for the firms of Ernest Isbell Barott and Fetherstonhaugh and Durnford. He became'a partner of the latter in 1946. He resigned from the firm in 1964 and continued his architectural practice independently until 1982.

Among this firm's public commissions were an office building for Angus Robertson Limited, a bottling plant for National Brewery and a building for the Bank of Canada, all in Montreal. For a biography of Bolton see entry for CAC 11. 0 1, for a biography of Durnford see entry for CAC 11 and for a biography of Fetherstonhaugh see the entry for CAC 17.

General note

En 1946, deux nouveaux associés se joignent au cabinet de Fetherstonhaugh et Durnford: Richard E. Bolton (né en 1907) et R.V. Chadwick (né en 1916). Richard E. Bolton est né à Montreal et a étudié l'architecture à l'Université McGill de 1925 à 1927 et au Massachusetts Institute of Technology de Boston de 1927 à 1929. Il a été dessinateur pour Harold Lea Fetherstonhaugh de 1930 à 193 1, puis il a ouvert son propre cabinet à Montréal. Après la Deuxième Guerre mondiale, Bolton est entré au cabinet de Durnford et Fetherstonhaugh et est devenu un associé en 1946. R.V. Chadwick est né à Brooklyn et a obtenu son diplôme en architecture de l'Université du Michigan en 1940. Pendant ses années d'études, il a travaillé de façon intermittente pour les cabinets d'architectes de Ernest Isbell Barott et de Fetherstonhaugh et Durnford. Il sera associé dans le cabinet de Fetherstonhaugh et Durn
ford de 1946 à 1964 et exercera par la suite sa profession de façon indépendante jusqu'à sa retraite en 1982.

Au nombre des immeubles publics que le cabinet de Fetherstonhaugh, Durnford, Bolton et Chadwick a réalisés, signalons un immeuble à bureaux pour la société Angus Robertson Limited, une usine d'embouteillage pour la National Brewery et un immeuble pour la Banque du Canada, tous situés à Montréal. Pour une biographie de Durnford, voir CAC 11 et pour une biographie de Fetherstonhaugh, voir CAC 17.

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

6

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area