Fonds MG2054 - St. Gabriel Street Presbyterian Church Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Gabriel Street Presbyterian Church Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MUA MG2054

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1796-1869 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Gabriel Street Church (Montréal, Québec)

Physical description area

Physical description

8 reels of microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1792-)

Administrative history

The original St. Gabriel St. Presbyterian Church was built in Montréal in 1792 and was located on the south-west corner of St. Gabriel and Champs-de-Mars. In 1886 the church moved to another building located on the south side of St. Catherine St. This building was sold in 1909 when the St. Gabriel St. church merged with Chalmers' Presbyterian Church to become the First Presbyterian Church. The first minister was the Rev. John Young (1792-1802) and among the early supporters of the Church could be found some of the most prominent merchants in Montréal, including James McGill, John Richardson, Benaiah Gibb and Simon McTavish. Some of the ministers of the church were: Henry Esson (1815-1844) who was also a chaplain of the St. Andrew's Society (1835-1844); Alexander Ferrie Kemp (1855-1866) who was a Vice-President of the Natural History; Society and Robert Campbell who wrote A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel St. in 1887.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This microfilm contains the Registers of births, marriages, and deaths, 1796-1869 and the minute books of the Presbytery of Québec, 1831-1842.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Microfilm

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres