Fonds 4.01 - Saxe and Archibald

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Saxe and Archibald

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CAC 4.01

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1908-1912 (Creation)
    Creator
    Saxe & Archibald

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1897-1915)

Biographical history

Charles Jewett Saxe (1870-1943) and John Smith Archibald (1872-1934) were co-workers at the architectural firm of Edward Maxwell (1867-1923). For a biography of Archibald see CAC 4, for a biography of Saxe see CAC 4.04. In 1897 Saxe and Archibald left Maxwell's employ to set up a partnership that was to last until 1915. Together they executed a number of designs for domestic architecture, as well as the Montefiore Club (1907), the Emmanuel Congregational Church (1906) and the Ecole Technique de Montreal (1909-11). Three of Saxe and Archibald's projects are documented by architectural drawings in the CAC archives.

For a more complete view of Saxe's practice the Charles Jewett Saxe Fonds, CAC 4.04 and Saxe and Miller Fonds, CAC 48 should also be consulted. For further information, see the CAC's publication, John S. Archibald and His Associates: A Guide to the Archive =John S. Archibald et ses associés: Guide du fonds. Montreal: Canadian Architectural Collection, Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University, 1990. Also see Irene Puchalski. An Analysis of Four Building Types by John S. Archibald, Architect (1872-1934). M.A. Thesis. Montreal: Concordia University, 1991.

Charles Jewett Saxe (l870-1943) et John Smith Archibald (1872-1934) ont travaillé ensemble au cabinet d'architecture d'Edward Maxwell (1867-1923). Pour une biographie d'Archibald, voir CAC 4, pour une biographie de Saxe, voir CAC 4.04. En 1897, Saxe et Archibald ont quitté le cabinet de Maxwell pour former une association qui allait se maintenir jusqu'en 1914. Ensemble, ils ont dessiné plusieurs projets d'architecture domestique de même que le club Montefiore (1907), l'Emmanuel Congregational Church (1906) et l'École technique de Montréal (1909-1911). Trois des projets de Saxe et Archibald sont documentés par des dessins architecturaux déposés au fonds de la CAC.

Pour un aperçu plus complet de la pratique de Saxe il faudrait également consulter les fonds Charles Jewett Saxe, CAC 4.04 et Saxe et Miller, CAC 48. Pour plus de renseignements, veuillez consulter la publication de la CAC intitulée John S. Archibald and His Associates: A Guide to the Archive = John S. Archibald et ses associés: Guide du fonds, Montréal : Collection d'architecture canadienne, Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill, 1990. Voir aussi Irene Puchalski. An Analysis of Four Building Types by John S. Archibald, Architect (1872-1934). Thèse de maîtrise. Montréal: Université Concordia, 1991.

Custodial history

Hugh Percival Illsley gave the drawings to the CAC circa 1976.

Le matériel a été remis à la CAC par Hugh Percival Illsley en 1976.

Scope and content

"Architectural Drawings, 1908-12, 76 drawings." Three Montreal projects are documented by drawings: alterations to the old Masonic Temple, Dorchester Blvd. West (now René-Lévesque Blvd.), the Ecole Technique de Montréal, and alterations to the Engineers' Club.

"Dessins architecturaux, 1908-1912, 76 dessins." Trois projets montréalais sont documentés par des dessins : les modifications apportées à l'ancien Temple maçonnique, boulevard Dorchester ouest (maintenant boulevard René-Lévesque), l'École technique de Montréal et les modifications apportées au Club des ingénieurs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

80

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places