Series 3 - Plant Series

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Plant Series

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA MUA MG 4109-3

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • approximately 1910-1940 (Creation)
    Creator
    Canada Cement Company

Physical description area

Physical description

40 cm of photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(established 1909)

Administrative history

The Canada Cement Company was incorporated in 1909 by Max Aitken (Lord Beaverbrook), who merged eleven cement companies in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta. For most of the period documented by this photographic collection, it was the largest cement company in Canada headquartered in Montreal. Using the Portland system of cement production, the Company expanded quickly until the Depression. Recovering in the late 1940s, the Company enlarged and modernized its Montreal East Plant, Plant No. 1 located in Pointe-aux-Trembles. By 1954 this plant with its heavily-bedded argillaceous limestone quarry was producing 30 percent of Canadian cement. The Company maintained other plants in Hull, Quebec; Port Colborne and Belleville, Ontario; Fort Whyte, Manitoba; and Exshaw, Alberta, as well as other various operations. In the later years, the Company became Canada Cement Lafarge and is now part of an international cement enterprise.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Many of these photographs depict structures and activities at the Montreal East Plant, ca. 1910-1940. Quarrying, loading docks, interiors and exteriors of buildings, trucks, and machinery are included. Many of the photographs depict industrial and harbour scenes in East Montreal. Other photographs, including an album by the Rice studio, depict the construction of the head office on Phillips Square, ca. 1920. There are also about 30 photos of the construction of Camp Borden in 1916. (Canada Cement Lafarge has retained for possible publicity uses photos of its other Canadian plants.)

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Arrangement: each file devoted to one project. Files not in
a particular order

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres