Fonds MG 4109 - Canada Cement Lafarge Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canada Cement Lafarge Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MUA MG 4109

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • approximately 1910-1980 (Creation)
    Creator
    Canada Cement Company

Physical description area

Physical description

15,000 photographs and negatives (8.5 m of photographs)
1 16mm film

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(established 1909)

Administrative history

The Canada Cement Company was incorporated in 1909 by Max Aitken (Lord Beaverbrook), who merged eleven cement companies in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta. For most of the period documented by this photographic collection, it was the largest cement company in Canada headquartered in Montreal. Using the Portland system of cement production, the Company expanded quickly until the Depression. Recovering in the late 1940s, the Company enlarged and modernized its Montreal East Plant, Plant No. 1 located in Pointe-aux-Trembles. By 1954 this plant with its heavily-bedded argillaceous limestone quarry was producing 30 percent of Canadian cement. The Company maintained other plants in Hull, Quebec; Port Colborne and Belleville, Ontario; Fort Whyte, Manitoba; and Exshaw, Alberta, as well as other various operations. In the later years, the Company became Canada Cement Lafarge and is now part of an international cement enterprise.

Custodial history

The fonds was donated by Jane Hainsworth to the McGill University Archives, 1 October 1987, after reorganization of the Company's North American operations. The film "Concrete's Finest 50 Years" was donated by Paul Masson, 6 September 2006.

Scope and content

The fonds reflects the Company’s involvement in the construction of buildings utilizing cement across Canada and comprises original photographs and some negatives of buildings. The photographs document construction over a wide range of time, geography and type of structure. The fonds reflects technical evolution of the use of cement construction, as well as the architectural evolution in Montreal and many of its public buildings. The major part of the photographs are of buildings completed by Canada Cement, and only a small number of the prints show the early factories and the equipment. Although the collection documents the company’s projects across Canada, about one third of the collection relates to Quebec and Montreal. Included in the fonds is one 16mm film "Concrete's Finest 50 Years".

This collection consists of 2 main subjects, arranged in 3 series: the first subject, structural projects involving Canada Cement and Canada Cement Lafarge, is divided into a Type of Building Series (subdivided by region) and a Regional Series (subdivided by type of building). The second subject, Canada Cement's own factories and its Montreal head office, is contained in a smaller Plant Series.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

1987-0074 donated by Jane Hainsworth on October 1, 1987
2006-0263 donated by Paul Masson, September 6 2006

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box Listing available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

15,000 photographs and negatives (8.5 m of photographs)

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession nos.

1987-0074; 2006-0263

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres