Subfonds 3 - Nobbs and Hyde

House for A.H. Scott

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nobbs and Hyde

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Subfonds

Reference code

CA CAC 1-3

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1910-1951 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nobbs & Hyde

Physical description area

Physical description

9835 architectural drawings.
660 photographs.
Approximately 64 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1910-1944)

Administrative history

Percy Erskine Nobbs (1875-1964) and George Taylor Hyde (1879-1944) worked together from 1910 until Hyde's death in 1944. Nobbs and Hyde's architectural practice is documented almost in its entirety in the CAC archive which records 420 projects of the firm. Included are architectural drawings, other drawings, photographs, specifications, correspondence, clippings, notes and trade catalogues. For a biography of Nobbs see the entry for CAC 1, for a biography of Hyde see the entry for CAC 52.

For further information, see the CAC's publication, Percy Erskine Nobbs and His Associates: A Guide to the Archive =Percy Erskine Nobbs et ses associés: Guide du fonds. Montreal: Canadian Architecture Collection, Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University, 1986. See also Susan Wagg. Percy Erskine Nobbs : Architecte, Artiste, Artisan = Percy Erskine Nobbs: Architect, Artist, Craftsman. Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1982.

Percy Erskine Nobbs (1875-1964) et George Taylor Hyde (1879-1944) ont collaboré de 1910 jusqu'au décès de Hyde en 1944. La pratique architecturale de Nobbs et Hyde est presque entièrement représentée dans le fonds de la CAC qui témoigne de 420 projets. On y trouve des dessins architecturaux, d'autres dessins, des photos, des cahiers des charges, de la correspondance, des coupures de presse, des notes et des revues professionnelles. Pour une biographie de Nobbs, voir l'article CAC 1 et pour une biographie de Hyde voir l'article CAC 52.

Pour plus de renseignements, voir la publication de la CAC intitulée Percy Erskine Nobbs and His Associates: A Guide to the Archive = Percy Erskine Nobbs et ses associés : Guide du fonds. Montréal : Collection d'architecture canadienne, Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill, 1986. Voir aussi Susan Wagg. Percy Erskine Nobbs : Architecte, Artiste, Artisan = Percy Erskine Nobbs: Architect, Artist, Craftsman. Kingston : McGill-Queen's University Press, 1982.

Custodial history

The documents were given to the CAC in 1970 by Francis J. Nobbs, the son of Percy Erskine Nobbs.

Les documents ont été remis à la CAC en 1970 par Francis J. Nobbs, fils de Percy Erskine Nobbs.

Scope and content

"Architectural Drawings, 1910-45, 9835 drawings." The wide variety of projects designed or altered by Nobbs and Hyde include urban and rural domestic architecture, school architecture, ecclesiastical architecture, the University Club in Montreal, the Arts Building of the University of Alberta and numerous buildings for the Henry Birks and Sons company. Their extensive work for McGill University includes designs for the McCord Museum, an extension to the Redpath Library, the Pathology Building, proposals for gymnasiums and residences, the Pulp and Paper Research Institute and the Field House, Percival Molson Stadium.
"Other Drawings, 1912-51, 425 drawings." Included are designs for war memorial tablets and windows, furniture, gravestones and fittings. A large group of drawings contains designs for commemorative blocks for the Canadian Battlefields Memorials Commission. Also noteworthy are the designs for decorations executed for McGill University for the royal visits of 1939 and 1951.
"Photographs, 1910-40, 660 photographs." Photographs documenting various stages of projects include domestic, school and ecclesiastical architecture, the Arts Buildings of the University of Alberta, a Birks store in Saskatoon, and Montreal projects such as the Redpath Library extension, the Drummond Medical Building, the Royal Victoria College extension and alterations to the Erskine and American United Church.
"Specifications, 1918-38, 22 cm." The archive contains specifications for eleven projects including additions and alterations to a school in Trois Rivières, alterations to St. George's Church in Lennoxville, alterations to the Pulp and Paper Research Institute and alterations to the Birks store in Montreal.
"Correspondence, 1912-55, 50 cm." Twenty-one projects have correspondence. They include the University Club, a proposed War Memorial Museum in Regina, the Pulp and Paper Research Institute, the Royal Victoria College extension and the McGill decorations for the royal visits of 1939 and 1951.
"Clippings, 1915-28, 12 cm." Included are clippings for a proposal of a general scheme of future development for McGill University in 1920-3, an imperial war graves plot and domestic architecture projects.
"Notes, 1929-34, 9 cm." Three projects contain notes: the Henry Birks and Sons store in Calgary, alterations to the Château Richer Church, PQ and the Motor Building in Montreal.
"Trade Catalogues, 1922, 1 item." The 1922 alteration to the Pathology Building at McGill University includes a trade catalogue.
"Article, 1919, 1 item." A proposal for the development of Evangeline Park, Grand Pré, NS includes an article.

"Dessins architecturaux, 1910-1945, 9 835 dessins." La très grande variété de projets dessinés ou modifiés par Nobbs et Hyde comprend des projets d'architecture résidentielle urbaine et rurale, des écoles, des immeubles à vocation religieuse, le University Club de Montréal, le pavillon des arts de l'Université de l'Alberta et plusieurs immeubles réalisés pour le compte de la société Henry Birks and Sons. Leurs nombreux travaux pour le compte de l'Université McGill comprennent notamment les plans du musée MeCord, une annexe à la bibliothèque Redpath, le pavillon de l'Institut de pathologie, une proposition de gymnases et de résidences d'étudiants, l'Institut de recherche sur les pâtes et papiers ainsi que Field House, au stade Molson.
"Autres dessins, 1912-1951, 425 dessins." La collection comprend des dessins de tablettes et de vitraux destinés à des monuments aux morts, des dessins de meubles, de pierres tombales et d'accessoires divers. Bon nombre de dessins sont des blocs commémoratifs réalisés pour la Commission canadienne des monuments aux morts. Signalons en outre des esquisses de décorations exécutées pour l'Université McGill à l'occasion des visites royales de 1939 et 1951.
"Photographies, 1910-1940, 660 photos." Ces photos, qui illustrent des projets à divers stades d'exécution, se rapportent à des constructions à vocation résidentielle, scolaire ou religieuse, le pavillon des Arts de l'Université de l'Alberta, un magasin Birks à Saskatoon et divers projets montréalais dont l'annexe à la bibliothèque Redpath, le centre médical Drummond, l'annexe au collège Royal Victoria et la réfection de l'église Erskine and American United.
"Cahiers des charges, 1918-1938, 22 cm." Le fonds réunit les cahiers des charges de 11 projets, notamment d'une annexe et de rénovations apportées à une école de Trois-Rivières, de rénovations apportées à l'église St-Georges de Lennoxville, de rénovations apportées à l'Institut de recherche sur les pâtes et papiers et au magasin Birks de Montréal.
"Correspondance, 1912-1955, 50 cm." Vingt et un projets ont donné lieu à de la correspondance, notamment le University Club, une proposition de musée de la guerre à Régina, l'Institut de recherche sur les pâtes et papiers, l'annexe au collège Royal Victoria et les décorations réalisées pour le compte de McGill à l'occasion des visites royales de 1939 et 1951.
"Coupures de presse, 1915-1928, 12 cm." Notamment des coupures de presse traitant d'un éventuel projet d'aménagement pour l'Université McGill en 1920-1923, un cimetière de guerre et divers projets d'architecture résidentielle.
"Notes, 1929-1934, 9 cm." Trois projets sont annotés: le magasin Henry Birks and Sons de Calgary, les rénovations apportée à l'église Château Richer (Québec) et le Motor Building de Montréal.
"Catalogues, 1922, 1 article." Les rénovations apportées au pavillon de l'Institut de pathologie de l'Université McGill en 1922 s'assortissent d'un catalogue commercial
"Article, 1919, 1 article." Une proposition d'aménagement du parc Évangéline, à Grand Pré (Nouvelle-Écosse), est accompagnée d'un article.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

"Percy Erskine Nobbs Digital Archive": http://cac.mcgill.ca/nobbs/

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

78

CAC Accession No.

1.01

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area