Series 1 - Montreal Mendelssohn Choir donation

Summer is Nigh : Part-Song To All You Ladies Now on Land : Choral Song The Curfew Bell : A Four-Part Song Far Out of Sight Jack and Jill : A Four-Part-Song Break, Break, Break on Thy Cold Grey Stones, O Sea : A Four-Part Song Out on the Waters : Part-Song for Mixed Voices

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Montreal Mendelssohn Choir donation

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA MDML 013-1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • approximately 1850 to 1894 (Creation)
    Creator
    Montreal Mendelssohn Choir
    Place
    Montréal (Québec)

Physical description area

Physical description

7 volumes of choral sheet music

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1864-1894)

Administrative history

The Montreal Mendelssohn Choir was one of the longest-running musical institutions in Montreal in the nineteenth century. Formed in 1864 by eight choristers from Montreal’s Presbyterian community and directed by Joseph Gould (1833-1913), the Choir grew to include sixty-five members by 1880 and over one hundred in the early 1890s. It served as a musical club for the city’s prosperous English merchant and business classes, with an artistic mission that emphasized good singing of unaccompanied part-song repertoire. The Choir disbanded in 1894 and subsequently donated to McGill University the contents of its musical library in addition to 250 volumes of musical literature.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The Montreal Mendelssohn Choir donated eight volumes of choral sheet music from the Choir’s library in 1895, a year after the Choir’s dissolution. There are only seven extant volumes in the collection because volume 6 has been missing since at least the 1980s.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

The original donation comprised volumes 1 to 8; volume 6 is missing.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres