Fonds MG1002 - Henry Morgan and Co. Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Henry Morgan and Co. Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MUA MG1002

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1846-1960 (Creation)
    Creator
    Henry Morgan and Co.

Physical description area

Physical description

1.92 m of textual records and photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1845, Henry Morgan opened a dry-goods retail operation on Notre Dame Street, Montréal, in partnership with David Smith. In 1851, Smith left for Chicago and Henry's brother, James, arrived from Glasgow to join the firm. Morgan's moved in 1866 to St. James Street and by 1874 employed some 200 clerks. In 1891 the store was moved uptown to St. Catherine Street and had become, by this time, the largest retail establishment in Canada. The firm remained a family business for more than a century. Branches were opened in Ottawa, Toronto, and Hamilton, and in various shopping centres near Toronto and Montréal, during the 1950s. In 1960 Morgan's was purchased by the Hudson's Bay Company.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The company's records contain administrative, financial and publicity material. The administrative series comprises the minutes of the directors from 1929 to 1955 and of the executive committee from 1949 to 1956. An engagement book records contracts between the company and its employees, 1902-1906. Henry Morgan's business correspondence covers the period 1847-1850, and includes a few personal letters to his brother James. Financial records cover both internal operations and stock transactions. The former are documented by an account book, 1845-1848; ledgers, 1870-1889; and diaries, 1884, 1936; the latter by lists of stock holders, 1954-1960; and records of transfers of Morgan's common stock, 1954-1961. Also included are files of invoices, receipts and cheques, 1846-1852. Publicity materials largely centre around anniversaries. Scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, other printed materials and photographs cover the years 1936-1945, culminating in the company's centennial, for which a typescript history was prepared.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Originals, printed materials, and photographs

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres