Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Henry Morgan and Co.
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In 1845, Henry Morgan opened a dry-goods retail operation on Notre Dame Street, Montréal, in partnership with David Smith. In 1851, Smith left for Chicago and Henry's brother, James, arrived from Glasgow to join the firm. Morgan's moved in 1866 to St. James Street and by 1874 employed some 200 clerks. In 1891 the store was moved uptown to St. Catherine Street and had become, by this time, the largest retail establishment in Canada. The firm remained a family business for more than a century. Branches were opened in Ottawa, Toronto, and Hamilton, and in various shopping centres near Toronto and Montréal, during the 1950s. In 1960 Morgan's was purchased by the Hudson's Bay Company.