Fonds 2 - Edward Maxwell

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Edward Maxwell

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CAC 2

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1867-1923)

Biographical history

Beginning in 1892, Edward Maxwell first started his private practice in Montreal. Edward had apprenticed with Alexander Francis Dunlop (1843-1923, see CAC 16) and later with Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, H.H. Richardson's old firm. This training lent Edward's work a distinctive Richardsonian character, mixed with late Victorian eclecticism, that is well-illustrated in his designs for buildings in Montreal and across the rest of Canada. Edward made his mark designing homes for the wealthy residents of Montreal's Square Mile, as well as commercial establishments, churches and civic and cultural buildings. In 1899 George C. Shattuck (1864-1923, see CAC 2.01) came from Boston to help Edward conduct business when the practice became busy. Shattuck's participation in the firm was brief (ending in 1901). However, it was during this time that Edward undertook one of his most important projects, the additions and alterations to Windsor Station for the Canadian Pacific Railway in Montreal. The firm's most fertile period began when William replaced Shattuck as Edward's partner in 1902, and continued until the elder brother's death. William's Beaux-Arts training and proclivity for strongly decorative designs gave the Maxwells' designs increased vitality. The brothers continued to build in Montreal, although their greatest commissions took them elsewhere: to Quebec City for the additions to the Chateau Frontenac and to Regina for the design of the Saskatchewan Legislative Building. The last phase of the firm's existence began after Edward's death when New Brunswick-born Gordon MacLeod Pitts (1886 - 1954, see CAC 2.03), a member of the Maxwell firm from 1919, became a partner. The firm executed projects as Maxwell and Pitts until William retired in 1939.

En 1892 Edward Maxwell commença à exercer l'architecture à Montréal. Edward Maxwell avait été apprenti chez Alexander Francis Dunlop (1843-1923, voir CAC 16) puis chez Shepley, Rutan et Coolidge, ancien cabinet de H.H. Richardson. Cette formation a doté le travail de Maxwell d'un style indéniablement richardsonien mêlé à l'éclectisme caractéristique de la fin de l'époque victorienne, ce dont témoignent éloquemment les plans d'immeubles qu'il a réalisés pour la région de Montréal et le reste du Canada. Maxwell a fait sa marque en dessinant des résidences pour les habitants fortunés du Square Mile de Montréal, de même que des établissements commerciaux, des églises et des immeubles municipaux et culturels. En 1899, George C. Shattuck (1864-1923, voir CAC 2.01) est venu de Boston donner un coup de main à Maxwell dont les activités étaient devenues très nombreuses. L'association avec Shattuck fut brève (elle prit fin en 1901), mais c'est à cette époque que Maxwell entreprit l'un de ses plus importants projets, les annexes et rénovations de la gare Windsor de Montréal pour le compte de la société Canadien Pacifique. La période la plus fructueuse du cabinet s'est toutefois amorcée lorsque William Maxwell a remplacé Shattuck en 1902, et s'est maintenue jusqu'au décès du frère aîné L'initiation qu'avait reçue William aux Beaux-Arts et sa forte tendance à l'ornementation ont contribué à donner aux projets des Maxwell une très grande vitalité. Les deux frères ont continué de faire construire des immeubles à Montréal, mais leurs commandes les plus importantes les ont conduits ailleurs; à Québec pour des annexes au Château Frontenac, et à Régina où ils ont fait les plans du Parlement de la Saskatchewan. La dernière étape de l'existence du cabinet s'amorce après le décès d'Edward lorsque Gordon MacLeod Pitts (1886-1954, voir CAC 2.03), né au Nouveau-Brunswick et membre du cabinet Maxwell depuis 1919, devint l'associé de William Maxwell. Le cabinet prit alors le nom de Maxwell et Pitts jusqu'à ce que William prenne sa retraite en 1939.

Custodial history

Ellen Aitchison, wife of Edward Maxwell, donated most of the material in the Maxwell archive in 1954 when her husband's office was dismantled following the death of Gordon Pitts. Subsequent donations were made by other Maxwell family members: Madame Mary Maxwell Rabbani, Mrs. H. Stirling Maxwell and Henry Yates, and by Mary MacPherson, daughter of Gordon Pitts. This material is organized and documented in Edward and W.S. Maxwell: A Guide to the Archive (1986). Further donations were made to the archive after the publication of the above-cited guide between 1986 and 1991 by Mary Maxwell Rabbani, Hugh Locke, Henry Yates and Robert Coppenrath and Associates. This later material has not been organized.

Ellen Aitchison, épouse de Edward Maxwell, a remis à la CAC la plus grande partie du fonds Maxwell en 1954 lorsque le cabinet de son mari a été liquidé après le décès de Gordon Pitts. Divers dons subséquents ont été faits par d'autres membres de la famille Maxwell: Mme Mary Maxwell Rabbani, Mme H. Stirling Maxwell et Henry Yates ainsi que Mary MacPherson, fille de Gordon Pitts. Le matériel se trouve organisé et présenté dans la publication intitulée Edward et W. S. Maxwell: guide du fonds (1986). Certains dons ont été faits à la collection après la publication de ce guide, soit entre 1986 et 1991, par Mary Maxwell Rabbani, Hugh Locke, Henry Yates et Robert Coppenrath et Associés. Ce matériel n'est pas encore organisé.

Scope and content

The Maxwell archive spans the full history of one of Canada's largest and most influential architectural firms. Drawings, photographs, professional and personal correspondence and other papers recording the activities of Montreal architects Edward Maxwell (1867-1923) and William Sutherland Maxwell (1874-1952, see CAC 2.02), and their associates. Others papers include office records, daily journal, measurement books, scrap-books, a preliminary index to the Maxwell archive and biographical material.

Le fonds Maxwell témoigne des activités de l'un des plus grands et des plus prestigieux cabinets d'architectes du Canada. Des dessins, des photographies, de la correspondance professionnelle et personnelle et divers autres documents témoignent des activités des architectes montréalais Edward Maxwell (1867-1923) et William Sutherland Maxwell (1874-1952, voir CAC 2.02) et de leurs associés. Au nombre des autres documents, signalons des dossiers de bureau, un journal personnel, des cahiers de relevés, des cahiers de coupures, un index préliminaire du fonds Maxwell et du matériel biographique.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Edward & W.S. Maxwell Digital Archive: http://cac.mcgill.ca/maxwells/

Accruals

General note


  • Note: Unorganized material is not included in this outline.

"Architectural Drawings, 1890-1951, 16,235 drawings." This is the total sum of architectural drawings for all four phases of the firm's existence which sub-divides chronologically and by firm, as follows:
Edward Maxwell, 1890-9, 3,674 drawings.
Maxwell and Shattuck, 1899-1902, 229 drawings.
Edward and W. S. Maxwell, 1902-23, 11,901 drawings.
W.S. Maxwell and Gordon Pins, 1924-51, 216 drawings.
"Photographs, 1863-1986, 1.04 m, 91 file folders and I album, 746 photographs" including 45 negatives and 99 silver prints of houses, monuments and other buildings designed by Edward and W.S. Maxwell and their associates. Included with these are 269 photographs taken by Professor John Bland and others.
"Architectural Operations, 1895-1984, 0.26 m, 62 file folders"; manuscripts, typescripts, clippings and correspondence relating to projects undertaken by the Maxwell firm.
"Office Records, 1892-1951, 0.65 m, 15 vols." These items record the activities of the Maxwell firm. They include:
"Commission books, 1892-1904, 4 vols.": for Edward Maxwell, and Maxwell and Shattuck.
"Work cost books, 1894-1951, 4 vols.": for Edward Maxwell, Maxwell and Shattuck, Edward and W.S. Maxwell, and Maxwell and Pitts.
"Tender record book, 1892-4, 1 vol.": for Edward Maxwell.
"Office ledgers, 1900-44, 3 vols.": for Edward Maxwell, Maxwell and Shattuck, Edward and W.S. Maxwell, and Maxwell and Pitts.
"Revenue account book, 1901-54, 1 vol.": for Edward Maxwell, Edward and W.S. Maxwell, Maxwell and Pitts, and Pitts alone.
"Draughtsmans hours per client book, 1894-1901, 1 vol.": for Edward Maxwell. "Day book, 1899-1900, 1 vol.": for Edward Maxwell.
Two photoalbums (W.S. Maxwell, Boston office)
1 female nude sketch (W.S. Maxwell, 1899 ?)
"Daily Journal, 1892, 1 vol."; This 196-page journal covers Edward Maxwell's professional and personal activities as well as daily expenses for 1892 when he was superintending the Montreal Board of Trade Building (1891-3); in addition, the journal includes notes on other professional building work.
"Measurement books, 1898-1912, 6 vols.": for Edward Maxwell and Edward and W.S. Maxwell.
"Scrap-books, 1894-1914, 2 vols.": includes plans of early Maxwell houses.

General note


  • Remarque : Le matériel non encore organisé n'est pas compris dans ce résumé.

"Dessins architecturaux, 1890-1951, 16 233 dessins." Il s'agit de tous les dessins architecturaux réalisés au cours des quatre associations successives du cabinet qui se répartissent comme suit :
Edward Maxwell, 1890-1899, 3,673 dessins."
"Maxwell et Shattuck, 1899-1902, 229 dessins."
"Edward et W. S. Maxwell, 1902-1923, 11900 dessins."
"W. S. Maxwell et Gordon Pitts, 1924-1951, 216 dessins."
"Photographies, 1863-1986, 1,04 m, 91 chemises et 1 album, 744 photographies" dont 45 négatifs et 99 diaposes de maisons, de monuments et d'autres immeubles dessinés par Edward et W.S. Maxwell et leurs associés. S'ajoutent à ce matériel, 269 photos prises par le professeur John Bland et d'autres.
"Activités architecturales, 1895-1984, 0,26 m, 62 chemises"; manuscrits, tapuscrits, coupures de presse et correspondance ayant trait aux projets réalisés par le cabinet Maxwell.
"Dossiers de bureaux, 1892-1951, 0,65 m, 15 volumes." Ces articles rendent compte des activités du cabinet Maxwell. On y trouve notamment :
"Registres des commandes, 1892-1904, 4 volumes" : pour Edward Maxwell, et Maxwell et Shattuck.
"Devis, 1894-1951, 4 volumes" : pour Edward Maxwell, Maxwell et Shattuck, Edward et W.S. Maxwell, et Maxwell et Pitts.
"Registre de soumissions, 1892-1894, 1 volume" : pour Edward Maxwell.
"Registres comptables, 1900-1944, 3 volumes" : pour Edward Maxwell, Maxwell et Shattuck, Edward et W.S. Maxwell, et Maxwell et Pitts.
"Registre des comptes de produits, 1901-1954, 1 volume" : pour Edward Maxwell, Edward et W.S. Maxwell, Maxwell et Pitts et Pitts seul.
"Registre des horaires des dessinateurs, Par client, 1894-1901, 1 volume" : pour Edward Maxwell.
"Brouillard, 1899-1900, 1 volume" : pour Edward Maxwell.
"Journal quotidien, 1892, 1 volume" : ce journal de 196 pages rend compte des activités professionnelles et personnelles d'Edward Maxwell de même que de ses dépenses quotidiennes en 1892 alors qu'il supervisait les travaux de construction de l'immeuble du Bureau de commerce de Montréal (1891-1893); le journal comprend également quelques remarques portant sur d'autres activités professionnelles.
"Cahiers de relevés, 1898-1912, 6 volumes" : pour Edward Maxwell et Edward et W.S. Maxwell.
"Albums, 1894-1914, 2 volumes" : comprend les plans des premières maisons dessinées par Maxwell

Sources consulted

For further information please consult the CAC publication, Edward and W.S. Maxwell: Guide to the Archive = Edward et W. S. Maxwell : guide du fonds. Montreal: Canadian Architecture Collection, Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University, 1986. Also see The Architecture of Edward and W.S. Maxwell. Exhibition catalogue. Montreal: Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, 1991, The Libraries of Edward and W. S. Maxwell in the Collection of the Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University = Les bibliothèques de Edward et W.S. Maxwell dans les collections de la Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill. Montreal: Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University, 1991 and Rosalind M. Pepall. Construction d'un musée Beaux-Arts : Montréal 1912 = Building a Beaux-Arts Museum Montreal 1912. Montreal: The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, 1986.

Sources consulted

Pour plus de renseignements, veuillez consulter la publication de la CAC intitulée Edward and W.S. Maxwell: Guide to the Archive = Edward et W.S. Maxwell : guide du fonds, Montréal : Collection d'architecture canadienne, Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill, 1986. Voir aussi L'architecture d'Edward et W. S. Maxwell, catalogue de l'exposition, Montréal : Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal, 1991, The Libraries of Edward and W. S. Maxwell in the Collection of the Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University = Les bibliothèques de Edward et W.S. Maxwell dans les collections de la Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill. Montréal - Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill, 1991 et Rosalind M. Pepall. Construction d'un musée Beaux-Arts : Montréal 1912 = Building a Beaux-Arts Museum : Montréal 1912. Montréal- Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal, 1986.

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

18

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres