Maxwell, Edward, 1867-1923

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Maxwell, Edward, 1867-1923

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1867-1923

History

Beginning in 1892, Edward Maxwell first started his private practice in Montreal. Edward had apprenticed with Alexander Francis Dunlop (1843-1923, see CAC 16) and later with Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, H.H. Richardson's old firm. This training lent Edward's work a distinctive Richardsonian character, mixed with late Victorian eclecticism, that is well-illustrated in his designs for buildings in Montreal and across the rest of Canada. Edward made his mark designing homes for the wealthy residents of Montreal's Square Mile, as well as commercial establishments, churches and civic and cultural buildings. In 1899 George C. Shattuck (1864-1923, see CAC 2.01) came from Boston to help Edward conduct business when the practice became busy. Shattuck's participation in the firm was brief (ending in 1901). However, it was during this time that Edward undertook one of his most important projects, the additions and alterations to Windsor Station for the Canadian Pacific Railway in Montreal. The firm's most fertile period began when William replaced Shattuck as Edward's partner in 1902, and continued until the elder brother's death. William's Beaux-Arts training and proclivity for strongly decorative designs gave the Maxwells' designs increased vitality. The brothers continued to build in Montreal, although their greatest commissions took them elsewhere: to Quebec City for the additions to the Chateau Frontenac and to Regina for the design of the Saskatchewan Legislative Building. The last phase of the firm's existence began after Edward's death when New Brunswick-born Gordon MacLeod Pitts (1886 - 1954, see CAC 2.03), a member of the Maxwell firm from 1919, became a partner. The firm executed projects as Maxwell and Pitts until William retired in 1939.

En 1892 Edward Maxwell commença à exercer l'architecture à Montréal. Edward Maxwell avait été apprenti chez Alexander Francis Dunlop (1843-1923, voir CAC 16) puis chez Shepley, Rutan et Coolidge, ancien cabinet de H.H. Richardson. Cette formation a doté le travail de Maxwell d'un style indéniablement richardsonien mêlé à l'éclectisme caractéristique de la fin de l'époque victorienne, ce dont témoignent éloquemment les plans d'immeubles qu'il a réalisés pour la région de Montréal et le reste du Canada. Maxwell a fait sa marque en dessinant des résidences pour les habitants fortunés du Square Mile de Montréal, de même que des établissements commerciaux, des églises et des immeubles municipaux et culturels. En 1899, George C. Shattuck (1864-1923, voir CAC 2.01) est venu de Boston donner un coup de main à Maxwell dont les activités étaient devenues très nombreuses. L'association avec Shattuck fut brève (elle prit fin en 1901), mais c'est à cette époque que Maxwell entreprit l'un de ses plus importants projets, les annexes et rénovations de la gare Windsor de Montréal pour le compte de la société Canadien Pacifique. La période la plus fructueuse du cabinet s'est toutefois amorcée lorsque William Maxwell a remplacé Shattuck en 1902, et s'est maintenue jusqu'au décès du frère aîné L'initiation qu'avait reçue William aux Beaux-Arts et sa forte tendance à l'ornementation ont contribué à donner aux projets des Maxwell une très grande vitalité. Les deux frères ont continué de faire construire des immeubles à Montréal, mais leurs commandes les plus importantes les ont conduits ailleurs; à Québec pour des annexes au Château Frontenac, et à Régina où ils ont fait les plans du Parlement de la Saskatchewan. La dernière étape de l'existence du cabinet s'amorce après le décès d'Edward lorsque Gordon MacLeod Pitts (1886-1954, voir CAC 2.03), né au Nouveau-Brunswick et membre du cabinet Maxwell depuis 1919, devint l'associé de William Maxwell. Le cabinet prit alors le nom de Maxwell et Pitts jusqu'à ce que William prenne sa retraite en 1939.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Maxwell and Shattuck (1899-1901)

Identifier of related entity

nr 94021300

Category of relationship

associative

Type of relationship

Maxwell and Shattuck

is the business partner of

Maxwell, Edward, 1867-1923

Dates of relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Edward & W.S. Maxwell (Firm) (1904-1923)

Identifier of related entity

nr 94021294

Category of relationship

associative

Type of relationship

Edward & W.S. Maxwell (Firm)

is the business partner of

Maxwell, Edward, 1867-1923

Dates of relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Maxwell, Edward Blythe, 1900-1944 (1900-1944)

Identifier of related entity

Category of relationship

family

Type of relationship

Maxwell, Edward Blythe, 1900-1944

is the child of

Maxwell, Edward, 1867-1923

Dates of relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Maxwell, W. S. (William Sutherland), 1874-1952 (1874-1952)

Identifier of related entity

nr 89003162

Category of relationship

family

Type of relationship

Maxwell, W. S. (William Sutherland), 1874-1952

is the sibling of

Maxwell, Edward, 1867-1923

Dates of relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

nr 89003139

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places