File 457 - Alterations to Erskine and American United Church

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alterations to Erskine and American United Church

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

File

Reference code

CA CAC 1-3-457

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • August 1938-January 1939 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

174 drawings : 4 ink on card, 151 pencil on paper, 2 watercolour on card, 14 blueprints, 3 black line
12 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1910-1944)

Custodial history

Scope and content

File consists of architectural drawings for church, including:
18 measured drawings: floor plans, elevation, gallery seating, seating, section, gallery
1 sketch drawing: door panel
2 presentation drawings: glass for south window, remodelled ceiling
16 development drawings: floor plans, sections, finials, steps, lobby, chancel, furniture, lighting, exterior perspective, stained glass, gallery seating
124 detail drawings: seating (including plan), boiler room, kitchen, staircase, chancel, parlour, hall, coping, fittings, windows, ceiling, doors, verge of roof, lettering, trim, radiator fronts and enclosures, arcade, lighting, telephone niche, leaded glass panels, stained glass, porch, mouldings, narthex, furniture, pulpit, medallion, ironwork (including canopy rod, organ screens), plasterwork (including narthex, grilles, imposts, string course, cornices, curtain box, arches), marble work (including pulpit, stair, chancel floor parapet and table, communion table, steps, floor), stonework (including rondels), woodwork (including ornament, joists, trims, staircase, handrail, wainscot, stalls, canopy, hymn board, parlour, lecterns, panel, medallion)
9 shop drawings: lighting, stair, porch, chancel, lighting, floor layout, chancel floor parapet and table, pulpit, stonework
4 record drawings: floor plans
12 photographs: 1 plan, 11 finished interiors

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Consulting architect, David R. Brown; original architects, Hutchison and Wood.

General note

Built in 1893 by Alexander Cowper Hutchison, and inspired after the style of the American architect Henry Hobson Richardson, the original building followed the “Akron’ plan which was at that time the last word in church design in the United States. In 1938-1939 the interior architecture was adapted by Nobbs and Hyde in relation to new standards of the United Church of Canada which were set forth in the 1926 Memoranda on church design and church decoration. Nobbs was Consulting Architect to UCC and a member of the Committee on Architecture. In the remodeled church the axis of the auditorium is changed from the diagonal into the main axis of the structure. The original sloping floor made level and a shallow choir opening through the old connection to the Sunday School Hall at the rear. The original gallery was reduced by about one third, leaving the windows unobstructed in both transepts. The original arcade on the left of the chancel is repeated on the right, with plaster grills added in all the openings. Grey Tennessee marble is used for the choir floors, steps and parapet, and the framing of the pulpit and communion table, which have panels in light red Numidian. The solid communion tabletop is in Jaune de Brignole. Chancel furniture, choir stalls and paneling are in walnut, with carved and gilded ornaments that are for the most part based on Early Christian symbolism, and in accordance with the memorandum. Important changes were also made at the entrances, involving a narthex, served by both east and west porches. (“Erskine and American Church, Montreal, Quebec, “ JRAIC 16 (April 1939): 80-81)

Alternative identifier(s)

Nobbs database project ID

458

Nobbs database op number

574

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area