Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content.
Level of description
CA MUA RG 10
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
59 plaques : wood, metal, paint
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
In the late 1940s, McGill received an extensive set of ships’ badges from the Royal Navy. These were to serve as decoration on the walls of the swimming pool of the newly erected Memorial Hall. The British Admiralty had already coordinated with Mrs. Dolly McEuen for the donation of Royal Navy badges. Her husband, Charles Stuart McEuen, was a McGill Alumni (MDMC 1920), a Research Associate in Biochemistry at McGill from 1933-1940, and surgeon commander for the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve. Mrs. McEuen then dedicated her time in Halifax to the establishment of the Ajax Club and the Ajax Hospitality Headquarters which served as entertaining and accommodating institutions for British soldiers wanting to make the most of life in Canada. The initial set of badges was sponsored by the 60,000$ surplus donations from Mrs. McEuen’s associations to establish the Ajax Hospitality Memorial Scholarships for young officers of the Royal Navy to attend McGill University post-WWII. In 1950, a semi-last minute addendum was coordinated with efforts from Principal Frank Cyril James, Mrs. McEuen and the Department of National Defence to add wood mounted badges of the Royal Canadian Navy as well. However, this amount of weight was judged to pose serious architectural issues to the swimming pool walls so the badges were installed in the gymnasium instead, and remained on display until likely the early 1970s. The badges were transferred to the McGill University Archive in 2007 (acc. 0000-0184 RG 10 C18 f.1362 “SHIPS’ BADGES”).
Scope and content
Collection consists of 59 plaques featuring Royal Navy and Royal Canadian Navy badges for ships and naval installations.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Part of McGill University Record Group RG 10: Department of Physical Plant. Please contact MUA at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about RG 10.
Please note: description is ongoing.