McGill LibraryMcLennan Library Building
3459 rue McTavish
Scottish Centre Fonds
cm of textual records
Originally incorporated in 1961 under the name “Invergordon Scottish Centre”, the first “Scottish Centre” of Montreal was primarily managed by the Invergordon Camp of the Sons of Scotland Benevolent Association. Over the next few years, members from other Sons of Scotland camps participated in the administration of the Centre and the insurance plans that it offered. Thus, the decision to change the name to “The Scottish Centre of Montreal” was proposed and accepted.
“Invergordon Scottish Centre” was legally changed to “Scottish Centre of Montreal” in 1971. Originally located at 1216 Stanley Street in Montreal, the Scottish Centre moved to 1610 Stephens Avenue in Verdun in the summer of 1989. From 1989 to its closure in January 2018, the Scottish Centre served as a meeting place for various camps of the Sons of Scotland Benevolent Association and served as a location for community functions.
Acquired by Christopher Lyons upon the original suggestion of Professor Donald Nerbas, Associate Professor and Chair of Canadian-Scottish Studies at McGill University. Mr. Jim Shepherd, past president of the Scottish Centre of Montreal donated the records comprising the Sons of Scotland Fonds (MSG 1205) and Scottish Centre Fonds (MSG 1206) material upon closure of the Centre in January 2018.
Fonds consists primarily of records related to the administration of the Scottish Centre of Montreal, including management of its building and finances. Other administrative documents include directories and guests. Fonds also includes meeting minutes and artifacts related to the centre's administration and social activities.
Finding aid prepared by Olivia Kurajian. Edited and updated for accruals by Anna Dysert, 10 March 2021.