Collection P137 - Robert Palmer Howard Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Robert Palmer Howard Collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the document of the collection.

Level of description

Collection

Repository

Reference code

CA OSLER P137

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [184-?]-1931 (Creation)
    Creator
    Howard, Robert Palmer, 1823-1889

Physical description area

Physical description

0,2 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1823-1889)

Biographical history

Dr. Howard, of Montreal, received his medical degree from McGill University in 1848. Following graduation, he studied in Dublin, London, Edinburgh, and Paris. He returned to Montreal in 1849 and commenced medical practice. In 1851, he began teaching Chemistry at St. Lawrence School of Medicine. Dr. Howard joined the staffs of the McGill Faculty of Medicine and the Montreal General Hospital in 1852. In 1858, he was elected Chairman of the Medical Board of the General Hospital, a post he held for thirty years. By 1860, he had achieved one of the senior chairs at McGill, the Professorship of the Theory of Medicine, which he held until his death. Dr. Howard served as Dean of the Faculty from 1882-1889. William Osler was a pupil of Dr. Howard's during his studies at McGill. Osler never forgot his debt to Dr. Howard and he never lost an opportunity to express his admiration and affection for his former teacher. When the McIntyre Medical Sciences Building was officially opened in 1966, its largest amphitheatre was named in memory of Robert Palmer Howard.

Custodial history

Old accession numbers 92 and 611. Gift of Dr. Robert Palmer Goward, Oklahoma City, July, 1978.

Scope and content

Fonds contains diplomas, certificates from medical associations, and photographs relating to Robert Palmer Howard and Alan Campbell Palmer Howard.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script note

The documents are in English

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Items can be requested for consultation online via the Library Catalogue or by email at osler.library@mcgill.ca. Advance notice is recommended.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Originally in two cylindrical tin diploma cases, 52 x 4 cm and 33 x 5 cm (discarded).

Alternative identifier(s)

Osler Database ID

4656

Osler Fonds ID

128

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres