Title and statement of responsibility area
Queen Elizabeth Hospital of Montreal School of Nursing Fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
between approximately 1960 and 2003 (Creation)
Physical description area
5 cm of textual records
.024 gigabytes of textual records (1 file : pdf)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Queen Elizabeth Health Complex opened as the Montreal Homeopathic Hospital in 1894. A nursing school, named the Phillips' Training School for Nurses of the Montreal Homeopathic Hospital, was founded shortly after and graduated its first class in 1896. The hospital was situated on McGill College Avenue until 1927. At that time, the demand for more beds led to a public appeal for $500,000 which allowed the hospital to move to Marlowe Avenue, where the present complex is located.
The hospital was the home of many firsts, for example, in 1942, the muscle relaxant Curare was first used in clinical anesthesia, and in 1943, the hospital pioneered the first post-operative recovery room in Canada. By 1951, the impressive medical and surgical advances accomplished by the hospital allowed it to acquire the new name of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital of Montréal, in honour of the wife of King George VI, Queen Elizabeth, who was soon to become the Queen Mother. In December 1961, the completely renovated and modernized building was officially opened by the Premier of Quebec, Jean Lesage. It was known as “Canada’s largest little hospital”.
In June 1995, the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) became one of the Montreal-area hospitals to be slated for closure in response to a directive from the provincial government to cut the costs of health care provision. In 1996, the QEH Board of Directors, the QEH Foundation and other bodies and individuals in the community joined forces and decided to form the Centre-West Community Health Corporation (CWCHC), incorporated in June 1996. This project allowed for the continued delivery of emergency services as well as a full spectrum of services to care, share, prevent and cure. The CWCHC became a new, not-for-profit health organization with no government funding. The Queen Elizabeth Health Complex, under the management of the CWCHC, is therefore a reincarnation and a new legal form for a century-old community institution.
Scope and content
Consists of material relating to the School of Nursing at the Queen Elizabeth hospital, including yearbooks (1960-1964), school notes, photographs of alumni and publications on the history of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, and memorabilia. Some documents and photographs relate in particular to the 1963 class of the School of Nursing. One item relates to the Alexandra Hospital for Contagious Diseases and consists of a January 1970 nursing manual with hospital policies regarding hygiene, diet, evening and morning care, some nursing treatments, and patient admittance; also includes descriptions of various contagious illnesses. One file consists of a digital copy of an originally typewritten text entitled "History of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital" produced by the Alumnae Association. This item details the history of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital beginning with its origins as a homeopathic institution and the creation of a nursing school, along with many details as to nurses' schedules, regulations, and uniforms during the early days of the hospital. It also contains a list of nurses "who have done outstanding work in the nursing field" between 1908 and 1939, and a list of nursing school superintendants from 1894 to 1905.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Sandra Beattie-Stevens, 2019. One file, History of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, was donated to the library on a USB key. The USB key was disk imaged on 10 March 2022 to create preservation copies and extract content file.
Original order maintained.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Please contact the library to arrange for access to electronic materials.
Restrictions on access
Some files may be restricted: information on patient meal plans and identifiable personal information regarding alumnae.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
These items can be requested for consultation online via the Library Catalogue or by email at email@example.com. Advance notice is recommended. Please contact the library to arrange for delivery of the digital material.