Fonds P187 - Montreal Medico-Chirurgical Society Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Montreal Medico-Chirurgical Society Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA OSLER P187

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1843-1955 (Creation)
    Creator
    Montreal Medico-Chirurgical Society

Physical description area

Physical description

1.76 m of textual records.—1 photograph album.—2 realia.—5 photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1843-)

Administrative history

The Montreal Medico-Chirurgical Society was founded by a group of general practitioners in 1843 in Montreal. Its first president was McGill Faculty of Medicine founder Dr. Andrew Holmes. They society's founders came together with the intent to establish professional codes of conduct, medical fee rates, and a death registry. Case reports were presented during the society's meetings and published as the Montreal Medical Journal. By the beginning of the 20th century, the society's activities were expanded to include annual refresher courses in medicine. Deans of McGill's Faculty of Medicine who have served as the society's president include Dr. Palmer Howard, Sir Thomas Roddick, F. J. Shepherd, A. D. Blackader, J. G. Adami, and H. S. Birkett.

Custodial history

Files 1-31 and 39-45 formerly part of the Medical Library Archives, accession number 544. These were transferred to the Osler Library in August 1976. All other items donated to the Osler Library in October 2013.

Scope and content

The fond consists of artifacts, bound volumes, photographs, and records from the Montreal Medico-Chirurgical Society. Included are correspondence, minute books, reports, monthly bulletins, a register of members, memorabilia, and albums of clippings and photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script note

The documents are in English.

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Items can be requested for consultation online via the Library Catalogue or by email at osler.library@mcgill.ca. Advance notice is recommended.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Osler Database ID

4710

Osler Fonds ID

299

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres