Fonds 2.03 - Maxwell and Pitts

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Maxwell and Pitts

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CAC 2.03

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1923-)

Administrative history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Edward Maxwell, CAC 2;
Maxwell and Shattuck, CAC 2.01;
Edward and W.S. Maxwell, CAC 2.02;
William Sutherland Maxwell, CAC 2.04;
Edward & W.S. Maxwell Digital Archive

Accruals

General note

Material in the archive is organized within the schema of the Edward Maxwell archive (see CAC 2).

This material records the final phase of activities of the Maxwell firm from 1924-54. Following the death of Edward Maxwell in 1923, Gordon MacLeod Pitts (1886-1954), whose association with the Maxwell firm began in 1913, became a partner with William Sutherland Maxwell (see CAC 2, CAC 2.04). Pitts remained until Maxwell's death after which the practice was closed. A native of New Brunswick, Pitts studied structural engineering at McGill University from 1904-8. He joined the Maxwell firm officially in 1919. Apart from his activities as a practising architect, Pitts was also involved with professional associations of architects and engineers and served as president of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada in 1942.

For further information please consult the CAC publication, Edward and W.S. Maxwell: Guide to the Archive = Edward et W. S. Maxwell : guide du fonds. Montreal: Canadian Architecture Collection, Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, 1986. Also see The Architecture of Edward and W.S. Maxwell. Exhibition catalogue. Montreal: Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, 1991, The Libraries of Edward and W. S. Maxwell in the Collection of the Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University = Les bibliothèques de Edward et W. S. Maxwell bibliothques dans les collections de la Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill. Montreal : Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University, 1991 and Rosalind M. Pepall. Construction d'un musée Beaux-Arts : Montréal 1912 = Building a Beaux-Arts Museum : Montréal 1912. Montreal: The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, 1986.

General note

Ce matériel est organisé selon le plan du fonds Edward Maxwell (voir CAC 2).

Ce matériel témoigne de la dernière étape des activités du cabinet Maxwell, soit de 1924 à 1954. Après le décès d'Edward Maxwell en 1923, Gordon MacLeod Pitts (1886-1954), qui était entré au cabinet Maxwell en 1913, devint l'associé de William Sutherland Maxwell (voir CAC 2, CAC 2.04). Il occupa ce poste jusqu'au décès de Maxwell, après quoi le cabinet cessa ses activités. Né au Nouveau-Brunswick, Pitts avait étudié les techniques de construction à l'Université McGill de 1904 à 1908. Il était entré officiellement au cabinet de Maxwell en 1919. Outre ses activités d'architecte, Pitts était également membre de diverses associations professionnelles d'architectes et d'ingénieurs et, fut président du Royal Architectural Institute of Canada en 1942.

Pour plus de renseignements, veuillez consulter la publication de la CAC intitulée Edward and W. S. Maxwell: Guide to the Archive = Edward et W. S. Maxwell : guide du fonds, Montréal : Collection d'architecture canadienne, Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill, 1986. Voir aussi L'architecture de Edward et W. S. Maxwell, catalogue de l'exposition, Montréal : Musée des Beaux-Arts, 1991, The Libraries of Edward and W. S. Maxwell in the Collection of the Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art, McGill University = Les bibliothèques de Edward et W. S. Maxwell dans les collections de la Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill. Montréal : Bibliothèque Blackader-Lauterman d'architecture et d'art, Université McGill, 1991 et Rosalind M. Pepall. Construction d'un musée Beaux-Arts : Montréal 1912 = Building a Beaux-Arts Museum : Montréal 1912. Montréal: Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal, 1986.

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

17

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres