Fonds MG4046 - Leo Yaffe Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Leo Yaffe Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MUA MG4046

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1919-1973 (Creation)
    Creator
    Yaffe, Leo

Physical description area

Physical description

20 cm of textual records and photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1917-1997)

Biographical history

Leo Yaffe was born in Devil's Lake, North Dakota. He earned a B.Sc. in chemistry from the University of Manitoba in 1940, an M.Sc. in 1941 and a doctorate in radiochemistry from McGill in 1943. From 1943 until 1952, he worked for Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. as a project leader in nuclear chemistry and tracer research. Yaffe returned to McGill as a Lecturer in 1954, was promoted to Associate Professor in 1954, and was named Macdonald Professor of Chemistry in 1958. From 1963 to 1968 he directed research at the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna. He served as Chairman of the Chemistry Department form 1965 to 1972, and as Vice-Principal (Administration) from 1974 to 1981.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Yaffe's papers reflect his interest in the history of McGill and of chemistry, as well as his involvement in the construction of the Otto Maass Chemistry Building. Historical materials include photographs of F.M.G. Johnson, cartoons of McGill personalities as well as eight original Johnson cartoons; approximately 60 photographs of a chemical laboratory near Trenton, Ontario (ca 1910); snapshots of the Chemistry Department Ph.D. Open House (1967); portraits of McGill chemistry professors; clippings and biographical notices of McGill and chemistry interest; and an autograph document by Otto Maass agreeing to a division of profits from a discovery with W.H. Hatcher. Files on the Otto Maass building largely comprise photographs (approximately 115) of the building under construction and of the opening ceremonies as well as speeches, press notices, and related correspondence.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Originals, Printed Materials, and Photographs

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres