Fonds 23.03 - Lawford and Nelson

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lawford and Nelson

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CAC 23.03

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [between 1860 and 1865] (Creation)
    Creator
    Lawford and Nelson

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1860-1865)

Administrative history

Custodial history

The materials were formerly in the collection of the McGill University School of Architecture.

Le matériel faisait antérieurement partie de la collection de l'Ecole d'architecture de l'Université McGill.

Scope and content

"Architectural Drawings, n.d., 3 drawings." An elevation of an entrance gate for the Mount Royal Cemetery, a perspective of the Church of St. James the Apostle and a proposal for an exhibition building, all in Montreal, comprise the CAC's holdings of the work of Lawford and Nelson.
"Photographs, n.d., 1 photograph." The archive contains a photograph of an entrance gate for the Mount Royal Cemetery.

"Dessins architecturaux, s.d., 3 dessins." Là CAC possède le dessin d'une élévation de la grille d'entrée du cimetière du Mont-Royal, une perspective de l'église St. James the Apostle et un projet de Palais des expositions, tous à Montréal.
"Photographie, s.d., 1 photo." Le fonds contient une photo de la grille d'entrée du cimetière du Mont-Royal.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Charles Barry, CAC 12;
John William Hopkins and Edward C. Hopkins, CAC 18;
Nelson and Clift, CAC 23.02

Accruals

General note

Frederick Lawford (1821-66) was born in England. He began his architectural career in London in the early 1850s in partnership with Richard W. Heneker (1823-1912). It is possible that the two architects met while working in the London office of Charles Barry (1795-1860). Lawford and Heneker emigrated to Montreal with the intention of continuing their practice; however Heneker left architecture in order to become a commissioner for the British-American Land Co. in Sherbrooke, PQ. Upon his arrival in Canada, Lawford formed an association with John William Hopkins (1825-1905) and James Nelson (1830-1919).

Born in Belfast and emigrating to Canada in the 1850s, Nelson began practising architecture in Montreal in 1854 in partnership with John William Hopkins. He worked with the firm of Hopkins, Lawford and Nelson until 1860, at which time Lawford and Nelson formed a partnership that lasted until 1865. In 1866 Nelson became the partner of Foiley; later he practised on his own until 1883. From 1883 until 1892 Nelson worked in partnership with Christopher Clift (fl. 1882-1900). From 1892 until his death in 1919, Nelson worked primarily on his own and occasionally in association with his son Christopher.

General note

Frederick Lawford (1821-1866) est né en Angleterre. Il a commencé sa carrière architecturale à Londres, au début des années 1850, en association avec Richard W. Heneker (1823-1912). Les deux architectes se sont peut-être rencontrés à l'époque où ils travaillaient au cabinet londonien de Charles Barry (1795-1860). Lawford et Heneker ont émigré à Montréal avec l'intention d'y poursuivre leur carrière; toutefois, Heneker a quitté l'architecture pour devenir commissaire de la British-American Land Company à Sherbrooke (Québec). À son arrivée au Canada, Lawford s'est associé à John William Hopkins (18251905) et James Nelson (1830-1919).

Né à Belfast, Nelson a émigré au Canada dans les années 1850. Il commence sa pratique architecturale en 1854 en s'associant à John William Hopkins. Il a fait partie du cabinet de Hopkins, Lawford et Nelson jusqu'en 1860, puis Frederick Lawford et Nelson ont formé une association qui a duré jusqu'en 1865. En 1866, Nelson est devenu l'associé de Foiley; par la suite, il a exercé seul jusqu'en 1883. De 1883 à 1892, Nelson a travaillé en association avec Christopher Clift (fl. 1882-1900). De 1892 jusqu'à son décès en 1919, Nelson a surtout travaillé seul mais parfois, en association avec son fils Christopher

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

23

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places