Fonds 3.01 - Findlay and McGregor

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Findlay and McGregor

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CAC 3.01

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1906 (Creation)
    Creator
    Findlay and McGregor

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1906)

Administrative history

Custodial history

Francis R. Findlay gave the materials to the CAC.

Le matériel du fonds a été remis à la CAC par Francis R. Findlay.

Scope and content

"Architectural Drawings, n.d., 1906, 56 drawings." The inventory documents four projects designed during Findlay and McGregor's brief partnership and includes a house on Sherbrooke Street for W. A. Molson, the Mortimer B. Davis house on Pine Avenue (now McGill University's Purvis Hall), all in Montreal, and a house for A. L. Sumner in Saskatchewan.
"Photographs, n.d., 28 photographs." Photographs of the Davis house on Pine Avenue are found in the archive's collection.

"Dessins architecturaux, s.d., 1906, 56 dessins." Le matériel témoigne de quatre projets dessinés au cours de la brève association de Findlay et de McGregor dont la maison W.A. Molson, rue Sherbrooke où McGregor ne semble avoir joué qu'un rôle très secondaire, la maison Mortimer B. Davis, avenue des Pins (aujourd'hui le pavillon Purvis de l'Université McGill), et une maison en Saskatchewan commandée par A.L. Sumner.
"Photographies, s.d., 28 photographies." Le fonds comprend des photographies de la maison Davis, avenue des Pins.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Robert Findlay, CAC 3;
Robert and Francis R. Findlay, CAC 3.02;
Francis R. Findlay, CAC 3.03;
Francis R. Findlay and Percy Roy Wilson, CAC 3.04

Accruals

General note

Architectural drawings and photographs documenting four projects, designed and executed by Robert Findlay (1859-1951) and John W. McGregor in 1906, are found in the CAC. Findlay and McGregor formed a partnership that lasted only for the year 1906. John W. McGregor was born in Aubrey, Châteauguay County, Quebec, in 1909. He was first trained as a stone-cutter after which he went to the United States and for five years worked for a contracting firm in Boston. While living in Boston he studied architecture related courses at Harvard University. He became a member of the Province of Quebec Association of Architects in 1898. During their partnership Findlay and McGregor worked on several residential projects, namely the Mortimer B. Davis House, the George Sumner House, the H.M. Bremmer House and the Mabel Burnett House (also known as the Pangman house). They also were involved in factory buildings such as those for the American Tobacco on St-Antoine Street. After the end of his partnership with Findlay, McGregor continued practicing architecture independently: the François de Martigny House on Sherbrooke Street and the James Laurin House on Redfern Avenue in Westmount are of interest.

General note

Le fonds réunit des dessins architecturaux et des photographies qui témoignent de quatre projets dessinés et exécutés par Robert Findlay (1859-1951) et John W. McGregor (né en 1869). Findlay et McGregor ne furent associés que durant l'année 1906. John McGregor est né à Aubrey dans le comté de Châteauguay au Québec. Il fit son premier apprentissage comme tailleur de pierre puis il se rendit aux Etats-Unis. Il travailla à Boston pour un entrepreneur durant cinq ans. Pendant ses années de résidence à Boston il suivit des cours se rapportant à l'architecture à l'Université Harvard. Il devint membre de l'Association des architectes de la province de Québec en 1898. Pendant leur courte association, Findlay et McGregor ont réalisé des projets de résidence privée dont la maison Mortimer B. Davis, la maison Georges Sumner, la maison H.M. Bremner et la maison Mabel Burnett (aussi connue sous le nom de Pangman). Ils ont aussi construit des édifices de manufacture entre autres pour la American Tobacco sur la rue St-Antoine. A la fin de son association avec Findlay, McGregor continua à exercer de façon indépendante. On remarquera parmi ses réalisations la maison François de Martigny sur la rue Sherbrooke et la maison James Laurin sur la rue Redfern à Westmount.

Alternative identifier(s)

CAC Database ID

33

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places