St. James Literary Society

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. James Literary Society

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1899-

History

The St. James Literary Society, dedicated, in the words of its Constitution, to "the mutual improvement of its members by means of speeches, essays, debates, etc. on social, political, scientific or literary subjects", held its first meeting in 1899 in the Anglican Church of St. James the Apostle. Formal affiliation with the Church ended in 1901. The Society has pursued its aims largely through its speakers programme, and from the 1901 session has appointed an officer to maintain copies of addresses. The eclectic intellectual character of the Society has remained relatively unchanged over the years, although its membership base has broadened and its meetings are now public.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC