Percé Handicrafts Guild

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Percé Handicrafts Guild

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

established 1934

History

In 1934 the Percé Handicrafts Guild was formed by a group of women, many of them wealthy "summer people" from Montréal, to encourage Gaspé handicrafts both for their intrinsic value and as a means of alleviating the financial hardships of the Depression. The Guild organized lectures, competitions, and exhibits, and in 1936 opened a shop in Percé called "The Black Whale." Guild members manned the shop on a volunteer basis, and profits were used for community projects, such as the Dental Clinic, staffed in the summer by McGill professors Roland Lamb and Arthur Walsh. The shop was a centre for the study of Gaspé history and natural science, and sponsored a number of publications, including a cookbook. Ethel Renouf was president of the committee who created and ran the Black Whale handicrafts shop. Margaret Lamb served as the first assistant clerk in the shop, beginning in the summer of 1935. She later married Roland Lamb, who served as the community’s first volunteer dentist in the summer of 1939. Phyllis Birks served as Chairman of the Percé Handicrafts Guild.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC