- CA RBD MSG 91
Contains "characters of different plays as performed at the Theatre, King Street" consist of speeches, extracted from the plays, which were deemed particularly striking or typical of the personage. When the Loyalists from the American colonies migrated to New Brunswick in 1783, theatricals were part of the new community's life. The first dramatic performance for public charity took place in the long room of Mallard's Tavern, King Street, in 1789. Performances at various times were given during the following years. Two actors involved in the theatre were Jonathan and Stephen Sewell. Saint John's first exclusively theatrical building was erected in Drury Lane, around 1805. However, the theatre at Drury Lane began experiencing financial difficulties and the building was finally sold in 1816. The new owners attempted to continue Drury Lane's theatrical life by the introduction of a professional company, but finances did not improve and the life of the Saint John theatre ended.