- Corporate body
A. & W. MacKinlay was a bookselling company founded by Andrew and William MacKinlay (Scottish-born businessmen and philanthropists) in 1827, and based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The company expanded and described itself as "Publishers, Booksellers, Stationers, and Blank Book Manufacturers". Over the course of the company's existence, A. & W. MacKinlay, Limited sold books, paper products, and writing implements; printed school texts, blank books, religious works, and books pertaining to agriculture, botany, and politics; published locally written books; and produced educational maps. In 1862, MacKinlay, Limited produced a map of Nova Scotia which was considered, at the time, the finest example of its kind. The company was in existence until at least 1929. Andrew MacKinlay was also a dedicated promoter of education, community development, and "the welfare of the young and handicapped," serving on the boards of multiple charitable organizations.